Bruce Arena confirms Jozy Altidore will leave NE Revs for Puebla loan

He’s only been with the New England Revolution since February but already, Jozy Altidore is on the move again.

Fabrizio Romano reported on Thursday that the 115-time United States international was in the ‘final stages’ of securing a transfer to Liga MX side Puebla.

It later emerged that Altidore’s move would be via a loan lasting until the new year, as confirmed by Revs head coach Bruce Arena, who also revealed it was the player’s wish to leave Gillette Stadium.

Watch the story of Charlotte FC’s journey to MLS in 90min’s The Making of Charlotte FC, presented by DoorDash, on 90min channels now. Subscribe to our new US YouTube channel.

“He [Jozy Altidore] will be going until January to Puebla FC. And Jozy initiated that loan,” Arena told reporters.

According to MLSsoccer.com, there is no purchase option in the loan. It’s understood Altidore is pushing for the move in order to secure more playing time, with the 32-year-old starting just four of his 17 MLS appearances this season, scoring once.

Altidore initially found himself behind Polish striker Adam Buksa in the pecking order after signing for the Revs earlier this year.

And even since Buksa departed for French side Lens, the Revs still have Gustavo Bou and Justin Rennicks at their disposal, as well as Albania international Giacomo Vrioni, who recently arrived on a Designated Player contract from Juventus.

With the battle to make the MLS Cup Playoffs hotting up, Arena confirmed the Revs may still make another move to strengthen their roster before the closing of the MLS secondary transfer window.

“We may make another move. We’ll wait and see,” he said, adding: “We have, I think, a couple of weeks now until the transfer window closes. So, we’re considering making another move and we’ll just have to wait and see if we can finalize something over the next week or so.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.