The NRL says it will not consider registering Anthony Milford’s contract with South Sydney until the completion of criminal proceedings against the 27-year-old.
- Milford was arrested in September
- He had agreed to join the Rabbitohs on a one-year contract
- Milford has previously played for the Broncos and Raiders
Milford has been charged with three counts of assault occasioning bodily harm and one count of wilful damage involving a vehicle after being arrested in Brisbane on September 20.
Two of the charges allege violence against women.
The arrest came after police responded to reports of a disturbance in the Fortitude Valley nightlife precinct.
Milford signed a one-year deal with the Rabbitohs after his seven-season stint with the Brisbane Broncos came to an end at the conclusion of the 2021 premiership.
“Given the severity of the allegations, particularly that two charges allege violence against women, the NRL will not consider an application for registration until the court process is complete,” the NRL said in a statement.
South Sydney issued a statement of its own saying it “respect and support” the NRL’s stance.
The club said it would await the outcome of the legal proceedings.
Milford faced court for the first time in October.
Aside from the Broncos, he played two seasons with the Canberra Raiders, having made his NRL debut with the club in 2013.
Milford has appeared in two State of Origin matches for Queensland and represented Samoa at the international level.