Sydney FC A-League Men’s player tests positive for COVID-19, but FFA Cup clash with Macarthur to go ahead

A Sydney FC A-League Men player has tested positive for COVID-19, but Wednesday’s FFA Cup clash with Macarthur FC will go ahead as planned.

Sydney said the fully vaccinated, unnamed player had come down with symptoms on Sunday night, was tested on Monday and returned the positive result on Tuesday afternoon.

The positive result is the first reported this A-League season.

All of Sydney’s players and football staff are considered casual contacts and have undergone PCR testing.

So far, none of them have tested positive or reported feeling unwell.

Players and staff have already been undergoing daily rapid antigen tests as part of the procedures of the Australian Professional Leagues (APL), the body which runs the A-League competitions.

Sydney FC said NSW Health had advised that Wednesday’s FFA Cup round of 16 clash with the Bulls could go ahead.

“We have taken every precaution necessary to ensure the safety of our players and staff,” Sydney’s chief executive Danny Townsend said.

“No further players or staff members have reported any symptoms, however they have all taken tests to be sure.

“Sydney FC and the APL follow the strongest protocols to ensure we minimise any risk to our staff, players and members and fans, and hopefully there will be no further cases as a result of these procedures.

“Our medical team have been in regular contact with the player in question and have been providing advice.

“He has only minor symptoms and is in good spirits.”

Sydney’s A-League Women team is unaffected and will continue to train and play as normal.

AAP/ABC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.